We recently were at a friend’s home in Tahoe where she and her husband often have big crowds in the kitchen. Everyone is always asking them “Where would I find <insert any utensil or kitchen item here>”? It drives her husband crazy, and he wanted to know if there was any way to label the drawers in a way that didn’t look ugly or cheap. Joanne is an organizational wizard, who also happens to have amazing penmanship (she offered a few font samples for the hostess to choose between!) and went to work.
Using chalk pens and terrific metal labels that slide onto drawer faces she created amazing labels that look completely upscale and make it SO easy to locate where everything is. They also can fit onto shelves, so Joanne got up before us one morning and cleaned out and reorganized the entire pantry so it could be labeled as well, letting guests know both where to find things and where to RETURN things. From there the linen closet and the mudroom baskets all got labeled as well. It was a thing of beauty!
Below are the Fab5 items used for this project (with some pics from the actual project), plus a couple of extras that provided some more organizational zen to the home.
1. Chalk Pens: This pack comes in three sizes which is great. You can use it on both of the label options below, as well as the black tap
2. Metal Labels for Kitchen Drawers and Pantry Shelves: These labels ROCK! They fit over drawers easily (drawers still close) and can be turned sideways to be used on pantry shelves as well (see photos below for both uses). You can label with chalk marker (have someone with good penmanship do it!) or you can use a label machine and just stick them on. (Note: These are currently out of stock but you can ‘purchase’ and then. Amazon will let you know when they are ready to ship. Hopefully soon!)
3. Additional type of metal labels that work well on baskets for a pantry, linen closet or mudroom:
4. Label Machine: We love a label machine! These were used when more wording was needed, such as typing out directions on how to use the (very high-tech and confusing!) microwave.
5. Terrific smooth, wide chalkboard tape that chalk pens work on, for drawers that are too narrow to fit the metal labels (see in photo above as it was ‘in use’).
6. Bamboo Drawer Dividers/Organizers: These adjustable and expandable dividers are so much better than the clunky, ugly plastic ones! They expand from 3 slots to 5 and are great for silverware and serving utensil drawers.
- 7. OXO Container Set: These POP containers are airtight, stackable and space-efficient and are great for storing dry foods (cereals, fours, sugars etc) and keeping your pantry or cabinets/countertops clutter free.
8. OXO Ice Scoop: No more fingers in the ice drawer with this ice scoop that you can leave in your ice drawer. Bonus – its head is flexible so you can get pour cubes into tight spaces like your water bottles!
See these, and all of our Great Home Product recs here!