Resort wear is a fun one, especially this time of year when it is cold and dark and winter seems endless! Images of sunshine, water, sand, and fun can pull us through the long dark days of winter. We are both just back from warm-weather locales and had a chance to try out some new options and see what to wear when a resort vacation comes calling!
1. LaBlanca: Joanne has been wearing this basic suit for years but it works! And it is now available in 14 colors!! For suits that are classic and age-appropriate but with a bit of a twist La Blanca has nice options.
3. Quince has just entered this market with a signature knock-off – this time of the Summersalt suit! We haven’t tried it but Joanne is going to order it right now and let you know.
4 & 5. Chrissie recently got this suit from Andie Swim in navy and loves it! It gives great sun coverage (which she wanted), feels great, lets you snap it up higher for swimming laps/getting less sun, or unsnap a few for less coverage and a different look. It sucks you in, but not in an uncomfortable ‘I can’t breathe’ way. Andie Swim has lots of great, age-appropriate great-looking suits (in long torso and plus sizes as well), such as this classic one that will never go out of style, and this super cute print one. Plus you can buy tops and bottoms separately, which is always nice.
6. For the active water girl, Athleta has great options Chrissie has relied on for years. Whether you want a tankini, a one-piece, a bikini, a swim skirt, or even some great swim shorts or a rash guard – they’ve got you covered. Chrissie spotted a lot of these higher waist bottoms on the beach recently, and this one even has a secret pocket to stash your stuff or carry your phone when walking on the beach.
7. Land’s End has a line of suits out for Target which is worth checking out – it includes lots of great options, including many modest offerings (no thong options here!).
8. On the higher end, people swear by Hunza G suits for timeless style and quality.
YouSwim is all about body inclusitivity, featuring stretch suits that accommodate sizes 2-24.
Sun Protection Suits/Rash Guards:
1 – 6. Tutu Blue. We heard about this amazing brand from FabLister Jen V. who swears by their suits for sun protection while swimming laps. Whether you want a long sleeved/long legged suit for complete sun protection, or a ‘knee-length’ suit, a ‘boy short’ length suit or just a long sleeved suit – they have tons of great patterns from which to choose. You can also get just swim shirts or all variety of swim bottoms. They also have options for men and babies/kids. Would be a great gift for a grandchild! They sell out quickly so shop ahead!
7. Athleta has a nice rash guard in a variety of colors with a back zip and a pocket for keys etc.
8. If you prefer a front zip rash guard, JCrew has a nice option.
1. Joanne really likes Lemlem cover-ups – they are lightweight and can go from beach to lunch.
2.Tommy Bahama also has a classic one that never goes out of style (Chrissie complimented a woman who was wearing this one just last week -she looked great in it!)!
3. Chrissie loves this one as it is lightweight, is 3/4 sleeved, has a beautiful boho pattern, and can be a dress for dinner or a nice, longer beach coverup.
4. & 5. We love Emerson Fry’s India Collection – great quality, lightweight options. This caftan maxi is a great dress for a casual lunch/dinner or to throw on over a suit. Comes in a shorter knee-length version as well.
6. FabLister Kirsten G. introduced us to Rock Flower Paper which has great lightweight, cute print cover-ups with perfect ¾ length sleeves! We love this one! They also have featherweight scarves that are perfect for resort travel (Kirsten has one of those too!).
1. For trips to the pool, Jo likes these flip flops from OluKai – they have a little arch support, so you aren’t limping around, and some tread so you don’t slip!
2. Chrissie learned about Archie’s flip-flops when she interviewed Sarah Sands for the Blog. Sarah only wears tennis shoes 24/7 (read about that here!), except for wearing Archies when she’s at the beach. Chrissie got them and now is a believer – the arch support is great, they are comfortable and they take up very little suitcase space!
3. If you are going to a rocky beach and don’t like crawling into the water, Jo loves Crocs in a fun bright color – wear them right into the water for pain-free entry and exit.
4. And for walking around town we both love the Birkenstock Gizeh – in white or metallic for a more resort feel.
5. You can’t go wrong with a simple flat espadrille from the classic Spanish espadrille master, Castaner.
1.- 3. If you need a dressier or more fashionable sandal, consider something like one of these espadrilles or this woven sandal. FabLister Shelley B. swears by these chic espadrilles from Amazon, available in many fun colors!
4. – 7. If you want to have one pair of nicer, flat sandals that will go with pants, cover-ups, and dresses (and pack well!) Here are some options at different price points – more $$$, mid $$, bit less than mid $$. And if you want a bit of height to your sandals have a look at this great under $100 neutral ‘flatform’ pair that will also match everything you bring.
Daytime Casual Options:
1. & 2. Poupette St Barth has beautiful dresses and overall resort wear. Their Sasha dress is good as a dress or coverup and comes in lots of prints and solids, and their longer Ilona dress is perfect for a nice, casual dinner out.
3. Gretchen Scott’s Daisy dress is a fresh white maxi option.
4. Jo and her friends all bought these Dizzy-Lizzy shirt dresses last week in Palm Springs! They are a perfect throw-on for the beach or around town.
8. Jo loves the Athleta linen pants coupled with a plain white T-shirt like this one from Target. Some other favorite T’s are this one FabLister Marta M. loves from Old Navy or one of these from Banana Republic, available in long or short sleeves. This is a Great basic white gauze top to wear with pants, shorts, or skirts.
Daytime Sporty Clothing:
1. – 3. For walking, pickleball, tennis, or just bopping about Jo loves the lululemon tennis skirts. Many of them come in a ‘Long’ length – ideal! Target also has a skort that works (it’s not as kicky as the lulu one), as does Athleta.
4. & 5. For T’s, a new fave is this one from Beyond Yoga. It is loose fitting (for those of us who can’t pull off the super tight top), has a flatter curved hem, and is super soft, taking this essential short-sleeve shirt up a notch. A less expensive option is these moisture-wicking tops from Target!
Casual Dinner Out:
1. For a nice dinner out, at home, or on vacation, this Doen dress is a beautiful option.
2. This Quince dress (their Anthro Somerset knock-off) in orange is a fun one for dinner out!
3. The Anthro Somerset is a good choice as it comes in lots of fun patterns!
6. And party pants are always welcome on vacation! These from Farm Rio will brighten up any evening out!
7. White jeans and a fun top are easy peasy. For a more modern look, try these wider-leg ones with a fun top like one of these or a white eyelet top like this to rock the “column of color” (wearing a single color from head to toe).
Mersea also has a nice kaftan/coverup/dress that’s lightweight and can be dressed up or down.
Dressier Dinner Out:
1. Farm Rio has lots of dressier options in fun patterns – check out any of these!
2. Jo swears by La Double J – the long versions are easy to throw on and perfect for a dressier resort option!
5. For another Quince option, Chrissie has/loves this long dress in navy that packs tiny and is versatile (can look fancy or casual depending on shoes/bag, etc).
Chrissie has this wrap and it’s great for chillier nights when you want more than a lightweight wrap and you don’t want a full-on sweater over your dress. It’s got some heft to it, is fairly long, and feels great on (and it’s good for on the plane as well).
Mersea has a nice lightweight, loose-fitting sweater that comes in 14 color choices and is great thrown over your shoulders or put on over a swimsuit or worn with white pants.
If you aren’t going out much and you’re just looking for some comfy clothes for hang time, how about:
1. & 2. Aviator Nation sweats – the striped hoodie and sweatpants are the comfiest finds ever!
1. Vimhue baseball caps are great as they are super lightweight, made of a comfy material, ‘fit’ your head well, and have room for your ponytail.
2. Vimhue’s wide-brimmed hats are also great.
3. Sunday Afternoon makes great hats in a variety of styles and materials. For a lightweight wide visor that protects the sides of your face as well as the front, this one is a top choice that Chrissie loves. Great for pickleball, a walk, or ‘beaching’ when you don’t want the back of your hat to bump into your lounge chair :).
1. The Aloha cosmetic bags we love come larger for a great packable beach bag!
2. A straw bag is always fun for a vacation!
3. The LL Bean Boat & Tote will last forever and is a classic! Have them monogrammed for family and friends for a perfect keepsake.
4. A great carryall companion for vacations and everyday adventures, this Bottega knock-off in waterproof woven neoprene is a great find!
5. An Aloha bag is great for keeping your phone, kindle, headphones, etc protected from sand and water. Chrissie tosses hers into her bigger beach bag. Then on the trip home, she puts any wet swimsuits in it to keep other items in her suitcase from getting damp.
6. Lulu’s Everywhere Bag is great for quick walks on the beach (or elsewhere) when you don’t want to leave your phone/keys etc unattended, and don’t want to carry them in your hands.
Casual Evening Bags
7. This one is perfect for lunch or dinner out, with a beachy feel. Love the tortoise handle and unique shape!
8. This neutral ‘light raffia slouchy clutch’ has the option to be a clutch or have a thick gold chain strap on it, and it is big enough to hold what you need while not being oversized.
1. For sunglass readers, try these! Make sure you order bifocals if you want to see to read but don’t want blurry vision when you look up!
2. For fashion-forward sunglasses that won’t break the bank, try these by AIRE! Tons of fun styles and colors.
3. – 5. Sunscreen: We are big fans of SuperGoop! The unseen sunscreen is a must-have on any vacation. It is water and sweat-resistant. Don’t forget to protect those lips! This lipscreen from SuperGoop is great as is this one from Burt’s Bees. Buy a few – they are easy to lose!
6. E-reader: The Kindle is perfect for the beach because of its glare-free display that makes it super easy to read even in the bright sunlight!
7. Air Pod Pros: For working out, walking, or just lying around these will enhance your listening experience! Great for the plane ride as well.
Chrissie’s family loves this no-slip, no-bounce sunglasses! They are a great price for a polarized lens