Don’t you hate that pit in your stomach when you’re leaving the house for a hosted gathering and realize you forgot to get a hostess gift, or you have one but don’t have any wrapping paper or a gift card? This feeling changes the mood from ‘let’s go’ to ‘oh no’!
We’re here to help you prepare for success this holiday season with our FabList of items to have on hand so you’re always ready with gifts and wrapping supplies. Yes, our list includes gift ideas but it also includes the icing on the cake – wrapping paper, tissue, bags, ribbons, bows, and tags so you and your gift are ready to go!
Wrapping Items to Keep on Hand in the Gift Closet
- We love a pretty paper, like this one or these vintage-inspired designs.
- We also want to encourage you to try more sustainable options, like Wrappr. Honoring Furoshiki, the 1,200-year-old Japanese tradition of fabric wrapping, each Wrappr is a gift in itself, designed to be re-purposed or re-used and perfect for any season or celebration.
Bags & Tissue:
Gift bags are a great sustainable, reusable option and great for awkward-sized items.
- These holiday bags are super cute!
- These wine bags are a great way to deliver a bottle of holiday cheer. Layer the inside with a fun colored tissue and you’re good to go! Pair the wine with one of these wine saver/stoppers to make it a bit different than ‘just a bottle of wine’.
Ribbons & Bows
Having a stash of ribbons and bows is the icing on the cake!
- This striped one, this gold star one, and this fun sparkly ribbon will polish off any package.
- And don’t forget the bow on top! Keep these on hand to add to any package.
- If you really want to save time, get custom gift tags printed ahead of time! You can even think ahead and have them made for family and friends – they make thoughtful gifts!
- Other ideas include these reusable gift tags (use with chalkboard markers) or these cute shapes.
- Chrissie always has a box of these ‘old-school’ tags on hand to throw on any gift, any time of year. For the holidays you can also use holiday stamps or ‘to/from’ stamps to jazz them up (for the stamps, don’t forget the ink pads).
FabList of Hostess Gifts to Keep Stocked in the Gift Closet:
- We are both game people! So any of these are great to have on hand to give as gifts, and to use at a party!
- Chronology – We love this game where you have to arrange historical moments in time in chronological order. Tougher than it sounds, and really fun! ($23)
- Liberty Playing Cards – These cards from Anthro, with prints from Liberty of London are SO BEAUTIFUL! Whether you play with them or leave them out on a coffee table – they are a great gift. ($17)
- Dinner Trivia Conversation Cards These cards are a great way to learn about people and to keep conversations interesting and flowing. Pick a card and pose an interesting question to the group! ($12)
- Holiday Puzzle – The holidays are a great time to throw a puzzle out on the table for anyone walking by to work on. A holiday puzzle is a great hostess gift and more unique than a bottle of wine. ($24)
2. Nest Candle We don’t often buy a nice candle for ourselves, but we sure appreciate getting one! This scent is a beautiful one. ($49) Chrissie also loves her ‘rechargeable candle lighter’ which makes a fun gift to accompany any candle ($7). Match Strikers are also a trending gift item this season! ($24)
3. Aesop soap Another of the ‘feel guilty buying for yourself but thrilled to receive as a gift’ items is this indulgent hand soap! ($41)
4. Cocktail Napkins
5. Nice salt and pepper is such a great gift! Keep a couple of sets of these on hand so you can always grab something that will be appreciated by friends who like to cook. ($54). Or just the pepper set is also great. ($26)
6. Nice Olive Oil & Vinegar: This is a much appreciated and useful gift! ($74 for 2-pack of olive oil and vinegar – can be used for 2 gifts!)
7. Wine Supplies: If you decide to gift a bottle of wine, include one of these wine saver/stoppers to make it a bit different than ‘just a bottle of wine’. ($9.99 for a 4-pack)
Check out our complete list of hostess gift items here.
And visit all of our Gift Lists on the site: