It used to be so much easier (and cheaper) to shop for our kids when they were younger – Lego kits, blocks, clothes they’d wear without questioning our choices, VCR tapes (remember those?!). Now that most of our kids are in their 20’s and beyond, and not necessarily permanently settled (i.e. they don’t want to move around a bunch of stuff) it is a bit trickier to come up with the perfect gift. That said, we asked some of this target market for their ideas of what they’d want. So read on for these highly recommended gift items (these are not stocking stuffers per se – for those, please take a look here).
Yes, these items are all expensive but they are so worth it and will be greatly appreciated (ie they aren’t likely to spend their own hard-earned money one a cordless vac) and used constantly now and for years to come!
- Dyson Airwrap: This product is a 2-in-1 as it can be used both to dry and to style. It curls, shapes, smooths, and hides flyaways without extreme heat. Invest in healthier hair!
- Dyson Vacuum: Dyson does it again – a must-have for every house/apartment. Cordless!
- Dyson Air Purifier: Their ‘Air Multiplier’ technology circulates purified air throughout an entire room to keep things fresh!
- Slip Silk Pillowcase, Eye Mask, Scrunchies. All these luxurious products elevate beauty sleep and prevent wrinkles and creases.
Elevated, ‘post-college’ backpacks:
- Dagne Dover Backpack: A sleek backpack that is perfect for work and travel!
- Tumi Backpack: For work days or weekends, this compact backpack is well-designed with a dedicated laptop compartment and plenty of pockets.
Subscriptions & Memberships:
Give the gift of entertainment with these subscriptions that can help alleviate a young adult’s monthly expenses:
- TV (Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV, Disney+, Paramount +), Music (Apple Music, Spotify Premium), Books (Audible), Peloton app.
Give these great memberships to elevate the travel experience:
- Travel (CLEAR, Priority Pass, Airline specific lounge pass) – Great memberships to elevate the travel experience.
For shoppers who want to save:
For the cinephile in your life, these passes also provide discounted or free tickets and savings on concessions.
For the newshound:
- Newspapers/Magazines (New York Times Digital Subscription, New York Magazine, Vanity Fair, Sports Illustrated, Wall Street Journal),
- We highly recommend the New York Times All Access Digital Subscription, which gives you access to all articles and their games, Wirecutter, NYT Cooking, and The Athletic.
Just in case the young adult in your life doesn’t already have the following:
- AirPods Pro and cleaning kit: Noise canceling and great sound, but don’t forget to keep them clean!
- Kindle: The perfect ereader.
- Power Bank: Never run out of battery!
- Cord management case: To organize all those tech/cords, we love this Cotopaxi bag (these are toiletry bags but work great to organize cords/chargers etc!) with multiple compartments. This is also a great option.
New Sheets (linen or cotton) and towels! – If your kids are like ours they have been using hand-me-down or ‘leftover’ towels and sheets we gave them when they moved out. One of Chrissie’s kids asked for new sheets for Christmas – yeah! And who doesn’t like fresh, new towels (and hopefully they’ll use their old ones as rags!)?
For the young adult traveler:
- Away Suitcase: A great suitcase for getaway weekends or longer trips.
- Bose Wireless Headphones: Perfect to block out all noise.
- AirTags: So you know where your luggage (or wallet/purse/backpack) is at all times.
- Wireless transmitter: No more cords while watching movies.
- Personalized luggage tags: Easily identify your roller bag from everyone else’s roller bag.
- Cotopaxi toiletries bag…or for tech gear! – whether for toiletries or to carry tech/cords when you travel (it’s a great one for that purpose!), we love this Cotopaxi option.
Nothing too big or you’ll have to help move it later!
- Nespresso (machine and/or pods)
- Breville Milk Frother/Foamer
- Our Place Always Pan
- Caraway Cookware
- Air Fryer
- Air Fryer/Toaster/Oven combo
- Le Creuset Dutch Oven – this is heavy but is a gift to last a lifetime
- Solo Stove Outdoor Smokeless Firepit if they have a backyard. And if they don’t then this little mini tabletop version is fun for roasting marshmallows!
Turn a backyard bbq into a pizza party with this portable, small footprint, pizza oven. Hooks up to propane, or also available in wood pellet version.
For the Athlete:
- Theragun Massager: Perfect deep tissue massager.
- Pickleball Set – A great way to get involved and meet people, or to hang out with friends.
- Spikeball Set: Bring people together!
- All Trails App: Make sure your favorite hiker doesn’t get lost!
- Garmin Smartwatch: Not a cheap gift…! But for the serious athlete it’s a great tool to track training.
- SHOKZ Bone Conduction Sport Headphones: Listen to music AND hear your surroundings for a safer bike ride or run.
- Lulu’s Everyday Belt Bag: Great to throw on for a walk or to run to the store.
- Cashmere Beanie: Comes in lots of color options. Or a cashmere baseball cap if beanies aren’t their style but they still want to stay warm!
- Goodr Sunglasses: Tons of fun options to choose from and well priced!
- Quince Gift Card: Let them choose their own goodies, from clothes to homewares and more.
For the food/beverage person:
Stanley Tumbler – the ‘It’ insulated option these days.
Wine Chiller Stick – Pop it in to keep wine cool, then pour from it’s ‘spout’. Pair it with a Rabbit wine opener, a set of Bar Tools, and a set of Repour items t1o keep wine fresh (great stocking stuffer). Also why not include a great lemon/ lime squeezer to have at their bar area!
For the jewelry lover:
Cozy comfortable clothing is always a good idea under the tree. Try these soft Vuori sweats or these from Aviator Nation. These UGG shorts will never leave the couch – they are lined in smooth jersey. A new fleece jacket is always a welcome addition and a cozy pair of Birks makes a great outfit! These Lululemon pants are always a hit with men and these for women are always popular! This is a great Alex Mill reversible jacket, as well as a great sweater!
Snail Serum! Yes it’s ‘snail stuff’ and yes it’s all the rage and good for your complexion!
Brazilian Bum Bum Cream: Cult following for it’s smell and it’s ability to smooth out ‘bumps and lumps’
Merit products are having a moment!
Do your kids miss their pets? Perfect hoodie for them! How awesome are these sweatshirts (or tees or paintings) made from a photo you provide them! The animals name goes on the cuff :).
Other Gift Guide Blogs You Might Enjoy:
Gift Guide: Things for Men
Gift Guide: Things for In-Laws
Gift Guide: Things We’d Like Under the Tree for us
Gift Guide: Girlfriends
Gift Guide: Hostess Gifts and ‘Wrap Closet’ Needs
Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
And visit all of our Gift Lists on the site: