Do you give gifts to your girlfriend groups during the holidays? This is a lower-ish priced item that you give to multiple people – not a one-off gift for a single person. It seems this custom has become common in recent years. Based on very loosely done research it seems that sometimes these gifts are given within specific groups, such as a book club holiday event where you give a gift to everyone in the group (vs a white elephant-type event where you bring just one gift and then take another home with you), or a close group of friends where you drop off something at their front doorstep during the holidays or have a holiday luncheon and want to bring a ‘little something’ for everyone there.
These are not necessarily expensive items, as it’s really the thought that counts, as few of us need more ‘stuff’. These gifts are a way of saying that someone is appreciated. Plus, who doesn’t like opening their door to see a bag of freshly made granola or baked bread waiting for them?
Here are some suggestions for girlfriend gifts that don’t break the bank, but can brighten someone’s day during the holiday season.
Chrissie has some under $20 options, and Joanne has some that are slightly more.
Chrissie Fab5 Under $20 ‘Group Girlfriend’ Gifts:
- Homemade Granola in a Great Container: We have a group of friends who all like to make granola and each year we are lucky enough to be surprised with a few different offerings appearing at our door. They all taste very different (and equally good) as everyone has a signature recipe and ingredient list. I finally started making my own after receiving and loving all of those that we receive. Here is a recipe to try, and consider putting it in an air-tight reusable mason jar or ‘glass clamp jar’, or a good-looking reusable canister such as this or this.
- Little Travel Jewelry Case: I LOVE this compact little item (1” x 3”) and found it first at a fancy boutique for a boutique price…later at the car wash gift shop for a medium price…and finally on Amazon for the best price ever! The little box is lined with velvet to protect your jewelry, can store a few pairs of earrings and a necklace or two (perfect for a short trip), fits in the palm of your hand (and in your purse or toiletries kit), snaps shut and will not open by accident. I throw my jewelry in it when I travel. It’s $14.
- Personalized Luggage Tags: If your friends like to travel this is a good under $20 gift but you have to plan ahead since it’s personalized (although they do ship quickly). It’s a large luggage label (you can also get smaller ones) that makes it easy to spot your roller bag bag from all the other black roller bags out there. Choose from a wide choice of colors for the tag itself as well as for the thread color. You can opt for one or two-sided personalization (I personally just like the last name on one side). One-sided tags are $16.
- Set of Felted Coasters: Our book club host had these on the table recently and by the end of the evening about three other women there had already bought them via their phones! Glasses sit flat on them, they absorb moisture and they look muted/good. Set of 8 for $16.
- Beauty Bundle: I love this lip mask product and keep it in my car. For $10 it’s a great product that feels really good on your lips and feels more $$ than $10. Combine it with these awesome eye patches/masks that are terrific and well priced (20 sets in a box for $16). Buy a couple of big boxes of eye patches and then divvy them up, packaging maybe 5-10 sets with each lip mask to make little beauty bundle gifts. Or give a lip mask and whole box of eye patches to everyone, for $25 each. And I’m still a huge fan of the Julep tinted lip balm (in vintage mauve) for $14 – my go to that I keep in the car and my purse!
- Other beauty product options include:
Snail Serum! Yes it’s ‘snail stuff’ and yes it’s all the rage and good for your complexion!
- Brazilian Bum Bum Cream: Cult following for it’s smell and it’s ability to smooth out ‘bumps and lumps’Merit products are having a moment! And we are always fans of Jones Road Miracle Balm as well!
- Lulu’s Everyday Belt Bag: Bit pricier than my $20ish limit but great (still reasonably priced) gift for everyone who hikes or needs something to throw their phone and keys in. Great to throw on for a walk or to run to the store. I was gifted one and love it!
Joanne’s Fab5 ‘Girlfriend’ Gifts:
I’ve been trying to improve my gift-giving because I lean toward practicality which isn’t that fun! My sister told me, not so politely after I gave her a coin counter that she promptly returned, only to gift things that people can eat, drink, or slather on their bodies. Good advice, so I’ve incorporated that mantra into my list + a few additional goodies:
- Good Food/Drink: Some things we just won’t buy for ourselves so it’s fun to gift these items knowing they are a treat! A big chunk of Maytag blue cheese, some Fran’s Caramel Sauce, a gorgeous can of tasty nuts from The Peanut Shop of Williamsburg, or a bottle of really good Tequila to help get through the holidays with the in-laws.
- Body Lotion/Oil: It’s always nice to give something that most people don’t automatically buy for themselves, like a luscious body lotion or oil. Some favorites include Ahava Dead Sea Shower Gel, Ahava Dead Sea Mineral Body Lotion, Osea Body Oil, or LeLabo hand soap.
- Hanky Pankys: Who doesn’t need a fresh pair of Hanky Panky’s in a fun color? The boyshort or french briefs are super comfy and come in all kinds of patterns and colors. What fun to open in a group setting where swapping colors and styles can occur!
- Books: I like to give everyone the same book, one that I’ve particularly enjoyed that year. Some past favorites have included The Book of Joy (Dalai Lama & Desmond Tutu), Taste: My Life Through Food (Stanley Tucci), I Feel Bad About My Neck (Norah Ephron), and Devotions (Mary Oliver). This year, some potentials could be 1) any or all of Richard Osman Thursday Murder Club books 2) Tablua Rasa from John McPhee, or 3) the touching Matthew Perry autobiography.
- Fun: I like items with a sense of humor. This sponge bed made the rounds a few years ago and it’s still a best-seller. This year Otono’s trending item is the Gracula Garlic Crusher or another fun one is the Agatha spoon holder/stem release. This pickle paddle ornament or these tennis racquet salad servers would be fun for pickle or tennis buddies!
- Comfy: These Bomba Gripper Slippers with a cozy interior lining and stay-put grippers are so cozy and comfortable. I wear mine nearly every day and love them! An added benefit to buying from Bombas is that for every item purchased they donate one to someone experiencing homelessness. Another great comfy cozy item to gift is cashmere socks. Once you try these, there is no going back!
Fun Needlepoint Pillows: These are available with a wide variety of sayings, at at different price points but make a fun gift if the saying matches the friendship!
You May Also Enjoy these additional Gift Guide Blogs as well:
Gift Guide: Items for Young Adults
Gift Guide: Things for Men
Gift Guide: Things for In-Laws
Gift Guide: Things We’d Like Under the Tree for us
Gift Guide: Hostess Gifts and ‘Wrap Closet’ Needs
Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
And visit all of our Gift Lists on the site: