Buying gifts for mother and father-in-laws is tricky. They usually don’t really ‘need’ anything, you want to choose something they’ll enjoy or use, and you want to show you care. And of course, the appropriate gift depends on what stage of life your in-laws are in, and what their interests are.
Here are our Fab5 in-law gift suggestions based on things we’ve given in the past, as well as some ideas for this year.
- Charm bracelet with names of grandchildren on the charms: This is my mother-in-law’s favorite gift that I’ve given her over the past nearly 30 years. She never takes it off. The one I chose is delicate and the charms are small so it can be left on all the time. Nordstrom also sells some nice options like this one and this one that you can then add your own charms to. This one is also a resonably priced option.
- Monogrammed blankets: My in-laws aren’t as mobile now as they used to be and this past year I gave them both monogrammed blankets that they use all the time. They are super soft and lightweight so they aren’t too heavy for them to maneuver.
- Vuori Clothing: Both the women’s and men’s versions of these sweats are just so soft and comfy – great for both the active and the more quiet/sedentary in-law. Their nice polo shirt is also a great choice for a father-in-law of any age.
- Silk Pillowcases: Everyone likes these pillow cases, especially if your mother-in-law doesn’t care to wash her hair daily, as it will help preserve her ‘do’ longer!
- Gourmet Food Options: If you’re not familiar with Goldbelly, they are a site that lets you send food from a huge array of well-known restaurants around the country. Is there a favorite food from their hometown they miss? My in-laws miss their Memphis BBQ and we have shipped it in for them which they loved. Check out the HUGE number of offerings Goldbelly can ship!
- Bombas Gift Socks Set: Socks may seem a ‘sterotypical’ holiday gift for a father-in-law, but really good socks are such a pleasure to receive as who goes out and buys themselves really good socks that often…and who doesn’t like putting on really good new socks! Bombas has a great gift set of women’s socks as well to keep your mother-in-law toasty.
- Books: Coffee table books featuring the in-laws favorite subjects are always well received! My mother-in-law is a fashionista so I like to send her books like this with one on YSL or a biography of an icon of her time, like Jacqui O. If you have a safari lover, this new book on Africa is amazing and anyone who loves to travel will devour this book!
- Family photo book or calendar. Because in-laws typically don’t need anything, a photo book of family photos taken throughout the year is priceless. They don’t take long to make and create years of memories! We like Mixbook for this item. Along the same vein is a year-long calendar where you can relive family memories month by month with a custom creation!
- Gourmet Food or Beverage Subscription: Like Goldbelly above, why not gift a subscription of something yummy to eat? Zingermans, the fab deli in Ann Arbor, has some great packages like this one for monthly bread delivery or how about a quarterly cheese delivery? This one from Harry & David offers a wine and cheese combo with options of 3, 6 or 12 months or how ‘bout a monthly delivery of those delicious Harry & David pears??
- Digital Photo Frame: Millions of customers are delighted by this photo frame as the easiest way to share and display photos with loved ones. You can set this up in minutes on WiFi and instantly add photos and videos from your phone using the free Aura app. There is free unlimited storage and no monthly fee.
- Movie Pass: If your in-laws like going to the movie theater, there are some great movie theater passes out there that will make their day! These passes also provide discounted or free tickets and savings on concessions. (AMC Stubs, Regal Unlimited™, Cinemark Movie Club)
Other Lists You Might Enjoy:
Gift Guide: Items for Young Adults
Gift Guide: Things for Men
Gift Guide: Things We’d Like Under the Tree for us
Gift Guide: Girlfriends
Gift Guide: Hostess Gifts and ‘Wrap Closet’ Needs
Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers