Before we were married my now-husband told me ‘I am not a good gift giver – I want you to know that’. I thought he was bluffing a bit, but alas gifting is indeed not his love language, either in terms of giving or receiving. So I have been known to pick out my own gifts for holidays. He knows by now that I have to have ONE item that is a surprise – and he always delivers on that!
Sometimes it’s really hard to figure out what we want others to give us because our brains are too full of gift ideas for everyone else – our spouse, in-laws, kids, siblings, girlfriends, teachers, mailman, etc . . . But we put some thought into this and we’ve put together a FabList of things we might want for ourselves, hoping this would give you some ideas of what to ask for when the “what do you want for Christmas” question arises. We’ve also included a few items that we already have, love, and would recommend putting on your lists.
On my wish list:
As a family we have decided to do a very scaled-back holiday this year given that we are going on a trip as our gift! But that said, I would love seeing any of these items under the tree!
- The perfect black bag for evening. I am on a quest. My perfect bag can be worn cross-body or over the shoulder, is big enough to comfortably carry a phone, brush, glasses, lipstick, and keys, has neutral (or gold-tone) hardware, and looks nice enough to go out at night but not so fancy that it can’t also be worn during the day. No wonder I haven’t found it yet, huh? If I were to blow a big wad on an investment piece this might be the one. I’m still on the hunt for a more affordable option though…so it may need to wait for another holiday after I find that one!
- Ugg slippers: These seem to be popping up everywhere this fall and seem very cozy and cute for home or the quick errand out!
- Herno Puff Sleeve ‘Vest’: Three of my friends, including Joanne, have this (all in different colors), wear them all the time, and look terrific in them! They are not inexpensive, but they look great and really make an outfit. Joanne has it in pink and it looks awesome on her! She wore it to a dinner last week and a husband in attendance said to his wife ‘What Joanne is wearing is exactly what you need! It looks great!’ Wow – hard to beat that!
- Jewelry: I am a jewelry person and I would never say no to something new! I don’t need any of course, but if I had to put some on my list this necklace would be nice! And for someone with a bigger budget this is a bracelet that could be worn every day, forever.
- Ice Maker: I love pebbled/nugget ice (makes drinks SO much better) and this portable ice maker lets you have it anywhere! Just plug it in and fill it with water and it’ll make up to 24 lbs of ice a day! Joanne has been known to travel with hers…really, it’s that good!
- Alex Mill Sweater: I have one of their shirts (LOVE – and they make amazing men’s shirts as well as that’s what put them on the map, as well their women’s jumpsuits) and would love one of their sweaters, like this striped (also comes in cream) quarter zip one or this classic cardigan that seems ‘weighty’, special, and the right length for an upscaled basic.
- Hoka Shoes: On the more practical side, I have been wanting a pair of Hoka’s for months now for walking/light hiking and just haven’t pulled the trigger. But if Santa could, that’d be great!
Skims: I keep reading the hype from all ages of women…and finally want to dip my toe in the Skims water…maybe trying it out with these bralettes
How awesome are these sweatshirts (or tees or paintings) made from a photo you provide them! The animals name goes on the cuff :).
Here are a few things that I already have, love, and would recommend:
- Barbour Jacket: Fancier and ‘more streamlined’ than a regular puffer.
- Birkenstocks: I love my ‘furry birks’ and wear them around the house ALL THE TIME as they keep my feet warm and are cozy. I also wear them out and about.
- Jewelry: I love this pair of earrings that I was given last year and I wear them both casually and with more dressed-up attire.
- Foamer: Not the most glamorous gift (!), but I use this every day and it brings me daily joy! My morning routine wouldn’t be the same without the foamed milk it produces!
SeeVees: My friend Katie said I HAD to include these as we both (and our friend Audrey as well) have them, love them and get the most complements on them of most anything we wear! SO comfortable. I have the Monterey Platforms in gingham and Katie and Audrey love the Monterey Lug Platforms as well. Size up a half size.
Cashmere Sweater from Jenni Kayne: Find out what all the hype is about! I love the idea of this chunky knit cardigan with its luxuriously lightweight feel that makes for the perfect year-round wear—whether paired with sweats or styled with a dress.
Spa Gift Card: I like having a loaded spa gift card in my bag at all times! I use it for manicures, pedicures, waxing, facials, and massages. What a treat!
Gortex Rain/Down Coat: For those of us who walk in the rain, it’s super hard to find a coat to wear in the winter that keeps us both warm AND dry. Yes, we can layer a puffer under a raincoat but wouldn’t it be nice to have one coat that does it all? I would LOVE to have one of these from Arc’teryx or this one from Outdoor Research.
Charm Bracelet: A charm bracelet is a great gift because it gives people things to buy for you for birthdays, anniversaries, and of course Christmas! For the bracelet itself, you can find some at Bloomingdales or Tiffany, and the same for the charms – I’ve also found some great vintage ones on eBay.
Diamonds: All right, let’s just say it – diamonds are always a good idea! These days, with lab grown diamonds, you can get a LOT of bang for your buck! These studs are gorgeous and ring in at under $200! I’ve had my eye on this peace sign necklace for a while and of course, it is 10x the price of the earrings! And this diamond initial necklace falls somewhere in the middle!
You might also enjoy these other Gift Guide Blogs as well:
And visit all of our Gift Lists on the site: